As a Deployable Structures Systems Engineer, you will be working for the Advanced Deployable Structures Group (355L), which develops innovative deployable structures, lightweight space structures, and ground support equipment for NASA science missions and missions of national significance. Group members typically develop early-stage technology through prototyping and testing, as well as supporting flight hardware development from formulation through launch. The group manages the Advanced Large Precision Structures (ALPS) Laboratory and performs in-house design, fabrication, and testing of precision space structures including deployable, optical, and electroactive systems.
- Contribute to cost and schedule estimation and implementation planning of project subsystems.
- Support technology development in the area of deployable space structures.
- Ensure that delivered products meet all technical requirements and programmatic goals and commitments.
- Work independently, and under the direction of the group supervisor, project management, and project technical leads.
- Support mechanical engineering activities for payloads, instruments, and small spacecraft during all mission phases including proposal, concept/system architecture development, detailed design/analysis, build/assembly, integration, environmental and performance testing, and flight operations.
- Contribute to the mentorship and training of junior technical team members
- Serve as interface between technical product team and project management, systems engineering, test engineering, fabrication organizations, technicians, quality assurance, procurement organizations, etc.
- Provide technical leadership for small to medium size teams of support engineers, designers, and structural analysts.
- Lead the detailed design, structural analysis, build/assembly, engineering documentation, and delivery of sophisticated mechanical engineering products and subsystems for spaceflight missions.
- Support and present at team, line management, subsystem, and project level technical reviews.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil or related technical subject area with a minimum of 3 years of related experience;
- Master’s degree in similar subject areas with a minimum of 1 years of related experience; or PhD in similar subject areas with a minimum of 0 years related experience.
- Experience in structural analysis of sophisticated and unique space structures, especially large and/or composite structures.
- Knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
- Has experience and knowledge in one or more of the following areas: deployable space structures, lightweight space structures (including composite structures), or precision space structures (including RF and optical).
- Experience crafting and delivering hardware for both large and small, fast paced, low cost missions.
- Familiar with lost cost implementation of low TRL to mid TRL technologies.
- Experience in applying new concepts to flight applications.
- Experience with the design, development, and delivery of medium to large spacecraft structures, deployable structures, and composite structures.
- Ability to provide design recommendations to project technical leadership.
- Experience with structural design for space instruments, optical systems, or radar systems.
- Experience in mechanisms, actuators and motor controller technologies as well as fundamental electronic design.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pasadena, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A