Website City of Victoria
Develop, apply and administer heritage conservation policies, regulations, procedures and programs.
- Review applications involving development permits, building permits, heritage alteration permits, sign permits, conservation plans and rezonings for Heritage Designated and Registered buildings to ensure compliance with heritage policy; review applications for heritage designation; carry out site inspections and photograph sites; prepare reports including Statements of Significance and recommendations for the Heritage Advisory Panel and City Council.
- Support the city-wide and local area planning process including the development of land use policies.
- Respond to enquiries from other departments, building owners, developers, architects, community heritage interest groups, government agencies and the general public by providing information, advice and interpretation of heritage conservation policies and procedures and technical advice on building rehabilitation issues.
- Represent the department at various meetings such as Heritage Advisory Panel, Victoria Heritage Foundation and Victoria Civic Heritage Trust in an advisory capacity; prepare and deliver presentations on the City of Victoria Heritage Program and technical issues related to heritage conservation.
- Initiate and administer special heritage projects; develop heritage policies and procedures; coordinate historical research; review the work of consultants as required. Coordinate, assign, review and participate in the work of approximately one assistant performing Heritage Planning functions; provide employee training and input to performance appraisals.
- Review and administer applications for the Heritage Tax Incentive Program; provide technical review and analysis of building material conservation.
- Perform related duties where qualified.
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Working level operation of current City word processing, spreadsheet and related specialty software.
- Represent the City to the public and outside agencies.
- 6 years of related heritage conservation and planning experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Supervision of staff.
- Read and interpret technical information, architectural drawings, policies, regulations and legislation.
- Compose and present proposals and policies.
- University undergraduate degree in Urban Planning, Heritage Conservation, Architecture or Urban Design. (4 years)
- Understand and apply the principles of urban planning and heritage conservation.
- Organize and prioritize work.
Company: City of Victoria
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Application Deadline: N/A